Neck pain is a condition that a lot of people can relate to. Its intensity varies depending on its cause and the affected area. If left unmanaged, neck pain can interfere with your activities and keep you from enjoying the things you love. Fortunately, it’s nothing a visit or two to a Royal Palm Beach chiropractor cannot resolve.
Neck Pain: An Overview
Neck pain affects the cervical spine, which starts at the base of the skull. The spine composed of seven small vertebrae and supports the head’s full weight of around 12 pounds. It enables your head to move in almost any direction.
Aside from its flexibility, the neck’s vulnerability to pain and injury is also often a result of biomechanics. These refer to the activities and events that have an impact on the cervical function. They include repetitive movements, sitting for extended periods, injuries, normal aging, and more.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
Neck pain is a common ailment that a chiropractor in Royal Palm Beach can attend to. It is typically brought about by the following:
- Spinal Stenosis
Spinal stenosis makes the small nerve passageways in the vertebrae narrow, trapping the nerve roots. This causes neck, shoulder, and arm pain when the nerves do not function as intended.
Osteoarthritis is a joint disorder that involves the progressive breakdown of cartilage. In response to the deterioration, the body forms bone spurs that affect joint mobility.
- Injury and Accidents
Whiplash, or the forced movement of the head and neck that results in a sharp rebound, is the most common injury to cause neck pain. The sudden, whipping movement damages the tissues supporting the neck and head.
What to Expect from Chiropractic Care for Neck Pain
An appointment with a local or car accident chiropractor in the 33411 area is no different from other health consultations. The only difference is that treatment is typically administered on the same day. Here’s what you can expect from your appointment.
- The chiropractor will ask questions regarding your neck pain, such as when did it start, what you have done so far to mitigate it, and if it affects other body parts.
- The chiropractor will conduct physical exams to observe your posture, condition, and range of motion. Neurological exams may also be facilitated to test your reflexes and the pain’s scope.
- The chiropractor will conduct X-rays, a computerized axial tomography (CAT) scan, or a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) test to determine physical displacements. For nerve damage, Electromyography (EMG) is performed.
- The chiropractor will carry out cervical manipulation, which involves applying controlled pressure to the joints of the neck. Depending on your needs, the specialist may modify the procedure. This treatment will:
- Restore your range in motion
- Reduce neck pain and stiffness
- Improve your spine’s mobility
- Increase the flexibility of adjoining muscles.
- The chiropractor will recommend stretching and relaxation exercise to improve neck mobility.
Neck Pain Cases That Require Special Care
Aside from providing pain relief, chiropractors are trained to determine the best treatment for the patient’s condition. They may refer you to a different specialist depending on their diagnosis. Here are the instances wherein they may recommend that you see another health expert:
- When your neck pain is accompanied by fever, headache, or vomiting – These are indications of meningitis. In such a case, you’ll have to proceed to a hospital immediately.
- When you experience numbness in the shoulder, neck, or arm – These may be products of a spinal cord injury or a slipped disk. A neurologist can confirm or disprove the possibility.
- When neck pain is caused by fibromyalgia or arthritis – Muscle relaxants may be more appropriate in these cases.
Enjoy Neck Pain Relief with Chiropractic Care
Stop managing your neck pain with over-the-counter remedies. Get chiropractic treatment to resolve its causes and prevent its recurrence through comprehensive joint preservation. Visit your Royal Palm Beach chiropractor in the 33411 area now for neck pain relief.